USS Carroll (DE-171)
USS Carroll (DE-171) was a [[Cannon class destroyer escort #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Cannon-class]] destroyer escort built for the United States Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and then the Pacific Ocean and provided escort service against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.
She was launched on 21 June 1943 by Norfolk Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. H. F. Carroll, Sr.; commissioned on 24 October 1943, Lieutenant Commander F. W. Kuhn in command; and reported to the Atlantic Fleet.
World War II North Atlantic operations
Carroll was assigned to convoy escort duty, with its heavy demands for vigilance, ability to steam in all weather, and optimum readiness for duty at all times. Between 1 January 1944 and 9 May 1945, she made eight voyages between Norfolk, Virginia, and Gibraltar, Casablanca, Bizerte, and Algeria, guarding the men and supplies destined to carry the war through southern Europe. Between convovs, Carroll received necessary attention at east coast shipyards, and sharpened her training with exercises in Casco Bay.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
With the coming to the European theater of the victory in which she had played a significant part, Carroll was reassigned to the Pacific Fleet, to which she reported at Cristobal, Canal Zone, on 9 June 1945. She sailed to San Diego, California, and Pearl Harbor for exercises through 15 July, when she sailed for Eniwetok, Saipan, and Ulithi, arriving on 17 August.
Until 3 November 1945, Carroll patrolled the smaller islands of the Palau group searching for by-passed Japanese garrisons and prisoners of war. On 6 October, the surrender of Sonsorol, Fanna, Merir, and Tobi Islands was signed on her decks. She then furnished supplies, and supervised the evacuation of the islands by the Japanese.
She was homeward bound on 3 November, and arrived at Jacksonville, Florida, on 14 December. Here she was decommissioned and placed in reserve on 19 June 1946. She was struck from the Navy List on 1 August 1965, sold on 29 December 1966 and scrapped.