USS Douglas L. Howard (DE-138)
USS Douglas L. Howard (DE-138) was an [[Edsall class destroyer escort #REDIRECTmw:Help:Magic words#Other
This page is a soft redirect.Edsall-class]] destroyer escort built for the U.S. Navy during World War II. She served in the Atlantic Ocean and the Pacific Ocean and provided destroyer escort protection against submarine and air attack for Navy vessels and convoys.
She was named in honor of Navy Cross winner Douglas Legate Howard. She was launched 24 January 1943 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Ltd., Orange, Texas; sponsored by Mrs. D. I. Thomas, daughter of Captain Howard; and commissioned 29 July 1943, Lieutenant Commander G. D. Kissam, USNR, in command.
World War II Atlantic Ocean operations
Between 4 October 1943 and 19 March 1944 Douglas L. Howard escorted three convoys to Casablanca, French Morocco. She joined the hunter-killer group operating with USS Core for one cruise between 3 April and 30 May, then made a similar patrol with the group formed around USS Wake Island, from 15 June to 29 August. After repairs at Boston, Massachusetts, she joined Mission Bay for antisubmarine patrol in the South Atlantic from 8 September to 26 November.
Douglas L. Howard continued to screen Mission Bay during training in the Caribbean and the qualification of aviators in carrier operations off Mayport, Florida, then returned to ASW operations in the North Atlantic.
Transfer to Pacific Theatre operations
Douglas L. Howard left Boston 30 June 1945 for San Diego, California, and reached Pearl Harbor 8 August. On 3 September she reported to Eniwetok for patrol and local escort duty, and from 25 September to 16 November she assisted in the occupation of Lele Island in the Carolines and the disposition of its surrendered military equipment. She served on occupation duty in the Marshalls until 6 January 1946 when she left Kwajalein for the United States. She called at San Diego, California, then continued to New York, arriving 15 February.
On 13 March she arrived at Green Cove Springs, Florida, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 17 June 1946. She was struck from the Navy List on 1 October 1972 and was sold 14 May 1974 and scrapped.
- Photo gallery of Douglas L. Howard at NavSource Naval History