USS Edward H. Allen (DE-531)
USS Edward H. Allen (DE-531) was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The primary purpose of the destroyer escort was to escort and protect ships in convoy, in addition to other tasks as assigned, such as patrol or radar picket.
She was launched 7 October 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. David H. Clark; and commissioned 16 December 1943, Lieutenant Commander M. M. Sanford in command.
Assigned as training ship at end of World War II
Edward H. Allen sailed from Boston, Massachusetts, 6 March 1944 for Miami, Florida, to serve as schoolship for pre-commissioning crews of escort vessels. She had similar duty at Norfolk, Virginia, from June to November 1944, then returned to Miami until 10 June 1945. She was at Casco Bay preparing for service in the Pacific Ocean when the war ended, and remained there for experimental operations. After spending Navy Day at Boston, Edward H. Allen sailed to Green Cove Springs, Florida, where she was placed out of commission in reserve 10 May 1946.
Reactivated during the Korean War
Recommissioned 26 February 1951 Edward H. Allen was assigned to the 3rd Naval District and cruised from New York to Florida, Bermuda, and the Caribbean in connection with the Naval Reserve training program. From 13 June to 10 July 1953 and again from 17 June to 15 July 1955 she made extended cruises, visiting ports in France, Portugal, England, Spain, and the Azores.
Rescuing Andrea Doria survivors
While at sea in July 1956 she was ordered to the scene of the tragic collision of the liners SS Andrea Doria and SS Stockholm and rescued the captain and 76 of the Doria crew before she sank. Edward H. Allen continued her training duty until again placed out of commission in reserve 9 January 1958. On 1 July 1972 she was struck from the Navy list and, on 5 February 1974, she was sold for scrapping.