USS Gentry (DE-349)
USS Gentry (DE-349) was a John C. Butler–class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The primary purpose of the destroyer escort was to escort and protect ships in convoy, in addition to other tasks as assigned, such as patrol or radar picket.
Gentry was named after Wayne Roy Gentry who was killed in action 2 November 1942 in the Solomon Islands area while serving as a pilot in a Marine Scout-Bombing Squadron and was posthumously awarded the Air Medal. She was laid down 13 December 1943 by the Consolidated Steel Corporation, Orange, Texas, launched 15 February 1944; sponsored by Miss Jean Maxine Gentry, Lt. Gentry's sister; and commissioned 14 June 1944, Lt. Comdr. D. A. Smith in command.
World War II North Atlantic operations
Following shakedown off Bermuda and duty as a school ship at Norfolk, Virginia, the Gentry arrived New York 25 September 1944. Between 6 October and 23 December, she made two round-trip, convoy-escort voyages out of New York to Marseilles, France, and Oran, Algeria. The Gentry then sailed from New London, Connecticut, 9 January 1945; escorted submarines USS Bullhead (SS-332) and USS Lionfish (SS-298) to Key West, Florida.
Transfer to the Pacific Fleet
She then continued via the Panama Canal to the Western Pacific, arriving at Manus, Admiralties on 20 February. During the next four months the Gentry escorted convoys between New Guinea and the Philippines, throughout the Philippine Archipelago, and from Manila Bay and Leyte Gulf to the Palaus and Western Carolines. In July she escorted a convoy to Okinawa and served on picket duty before returning Leyte late in the month.
After the Japanese capitulation 15 August, the Gentry continued escorting convoys out of Leyte Gulf to New Guinea, Manila Bay, and Okinawa. In addition, she served on air-sea rescue patrol in Leyte Gulf until 27 November when she departed Leyte for the United States. Arriving Los Angeles, California, 18 December, she was towed to San Diego, California, 6 April 1946.
The Gentry decommissioned there 2 July 1946 and entered the Pacific Reserve Fleet at Stockton, California. She was later transferred to Mare Island, California. She was stricken 15 January 1972 and sold for scrapping 15 January 1973.
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.