USS Haas (DE-424)
USS Haas (DE-424) was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort acquired by the U.S. Navy during World War II. The primary purpose of the destroyer escort was to escort and protect ships in convoy, in addition to other tasks as assigned, such as patrol or radar picket.
Haas (DE-424) was named in honor of John William Haas who was awarded the Navy Cross after he was lost in action 4 June 1942 during the Battle of Midway. She was launched 20 March 1944 by the Brown Shipbuilding Co., Houston, Texas; sponsored by Mrs. Gladys Winifred Haas, widow of Chief Machinist Haas: and commissioned 2 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. A. M. White, USNR, in command.
World War II Pacific Theatre operations
After shakedown in the Caribbean and escort duty along the U.S. East Coast, Haas arrived Manus, Admiralty Islands, via the Panama Canal, the Galapagos Islands, and Espiritu Santo 15 January 1945. America's gigantic Pacific war effort had carried her fleet back to the Philippines, and Haas sailed to Leyte 27 January to assume escort and patrol duties in the still-contested islands. In addition, the destroyer escort provided shore bombardment and fire support for initial assault landings at Lubang Island 1 March and Romblon and Simara Islands 10 March – 12 March. Haas escorted a convoy from Okinawa to Leyte in July and another from Ulithi to Manila in early August, just before news of the Japanese capitulation.
After war's end she continued to serve as an escort and dispatch ship in the Pacific Ocean, with frequent trips along the China coast. On 5 January 1946 Haas streamed her homeward bound pennant and sailed from Hong Kong for San Diego, California, via Guam, Eniwetok, and Pearl Harbor. Reaching her destination 1 February, Haas decommissioned there 31 May 1946 and joined the "mothball fleet."
Recommissioned as a training ship
Haas recommissioned at San Diego 19 May 1951 and after shakedown reported to 8th Naval District headquarters at New Orleans, Louisiana, 18 September to begin duties as a reserve training ship. Cruising primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, with occasional visits to Central and South America, Haas trained some 900 reservists annually as part of the Navy's never-ending effort to maintain skilled and ready reserve.
Entering the Charleston Navy Yard 7 November 1957, Haas decommissioned there 24 January 1958 and entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet where she remained until scrapped in December 1966. On 6 September 1967 she was sold for scrapping.
- Photo gallery of Haas at NavSource Naval History