|Umut Özkirimli (Özkırımlı)|
1970 (age 49–50)|
|Institutions||Lund University, Istanbul Bilgi University|
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
After completing his secondary education in Lycée Français Privé Saint-Joseph in Istanbul, he attended Bogaziçi University. He received his master's degree from London School of Economics and Political Science and his doctoral degree from Istanbul University. He taught as an associate professor in the International Relations department of Istanbul Bilgi University, and is now Professor in Contemporary Turkey Studies at the Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Lund University, Sweden.
The second edition of his first book Theories of Nationalism. A Critical Introduction was published in April 2010. His second book Contemporary Debates on Nationalism: A Critical Engagement published in 2005 continued where he left off in the first book and focused on more recent (i.e. postmodern, feminist and post-colonial) accounts of nationalism along with topics such as globalization, cosmopolitanism, multiculturalism). The book, co-authored with Spyros Sofos, is Tormented by History: Nationalism in Greece and Turkey marks the first sustained and critical effort to study Greek and Turkish nationalisms in a comparative perspective. Özkırımlı's edited volumes include Nationalism and its Futures and (with Ayhan Aktar and Niyazi Kizilyurek) Nationalism in the Troubled Triangle: Cyprus, Greece and Turkey. He is a regular contributor to the journal Nations & Nationalism and a familiar figure in London School Economics’ nationalism studies circle. His opinion pieces and interviews also frequently appear in Turkish newspapers. His works have been translated into different languages including Turkish and Greek.
- Yumul, A., and U. Özkirimli 2000. “Reproducing the nation: banal nationalism'in the Turkish press.” Media, Culture & Society 22.
- Theories of Nationalism. A Critical Introduction (2000) ISBN 0-312-22942-9
- Özkirimli, U. 2003. “The nation as an artichoke? A critique of ethnosymbolist interpretations of nationalism.” Nations and Nationalism 9.
- Contemporary Debates on Nationalism: A Critical Engagement (2005) ISBN 0-333-94773-8
- Tormented by History: Nationalism in Greece and Turkey co-authored with Spyros Sofos (2008) ISBN 1-85065-899-4
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).