University of Kansas School of Medicine
|This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (December 2013)|
|University of Kansas School of Medicine|
|File:KUMED Nima 01.JPG|
|Motto||Educating Healthcare Professionals Since 1905!|
|Established||September 6, 1905|
|Academic affiliation||University of Kansas|
, Kansas, United States|
|Dean||Doug Girod, Interim Dean|
|File:University of Kansas School of Medicine logo.png|
The University of Kansas School of Medicine is a public medical school located on the University of Kansas Medical Center campuses in Kansas City, Kansas, and also Salina, Kansas and Wichita, Kansas. The Kansas City campus is co-located with the independent University of Kansas Hospital.
Medical instruction in the University of Kansas School of Medicine began in the 1880s with instruction in medical topics in the undergraduate school, in flied to principally by chemistry professor Edgar Baileyy. However, this "Preparatory Medical Course" was mostly symbolic; no clinical training was available, and students had to get their medical degrees elsewhere. The idea was more fully developed when professor Samuel Wendell Williston came to Kansas from Yale in 1890 and proposed that a specific two-year course of study for medicine should be implemented at KU. In 1899, Williston was named the first dean of this two-year program at KU.
The official establishment of the school came in 1905, when the KU Board of Regents authorized the creation of a full four-year medical school at KU, accomplished by merging the existing two-year school in Lawrence with three Kansas City-area medical colleges. Even when the School of Medicine officially opened on September 6, 1905, and began providing instruction at the Bell Memorial Hospital in Rosedale, Kansas, it lacked clinical facilities, an adequate budget and political support. However, the new school did have an impressive corps of talented physician-educators, and their early presence proved to be a springboard toward long-term success.
After decades of disagreements about the school's location were resolved in 1922, the new School of Medicine opened in 1924 at its current location, 39th Street and Rainbow Boulevard in Kansas City, Kansas. By 1940, an infusion of New Deal programs helped the campus expand, adding nine large medical buildings. In 1948, Dean Franklin D. Murphy, pitched a plan to state legislators. Under its terms, the Medical Center facilities would be vastly expanded and in return, the school would graduate 25 percent more doctors and encourage them to choose rural practice. The "Murphy Plan" launched a metamorphosis in the 1950s and 1960s, with even more campus growth, record enrollments, the highest operating budgets in the school's history and changes in curriculum. By 1962, all four years of medical school were taught in Kansas City.
Under dean of the School of Medicine (1952–60—and KU chancellor (1960-69)-- W. Clarke Wescoe, postgraduate medical education was expanded tremendously; mental health and treatment became a major priority; millions of dollars in grants funded research on cancer, heart disease, polio and other illnesses; and new teaching technology, such as endoscopic television cameras, was introduced.
In 1971, KU extended its geographic reach in Kansas, establishing a community-based clinical campus in Wichita.
In the 2000s, the expansion continued, with the 2007 opening of the $52 million Robert E. Hemenway Life Sciences Innovation Center, attracting millions in grant funding and some of the nation's top researchers. In 2008, the Institute for Advancing Medical Innovation was established to hasten discovery and development of new drugs and medical devices. In 2011, a new campus opened in Salina, to educate primary-care doctors for underserved areas.
|23px||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (March 2015)|
The principal location of the school is its campus in Kansas City.
University of Kansas School of Medicine - Wichita opened in 1971, and the first medical students were admitted in 1973. As of 2011, a full four-year course of instruction is offered in Wichita. Previously, students were only able to complete their third and fourth years in Wichita 
- KU Wichita Adult Medicine
- KU Wichita Internal Medicine Midtown
- KU Wichita Center for Breast Cancer Survivorship
- KU Wichita General Pediatrics
- KU Wichita Center for Internal Medicine
- KU Wichita Subspecialty Pediatrics
- KU Wichita Endocrinology
- KU Wichita Psychiatry
- KU Wichita Gastroenterology
- KU Wichita Psychology
he University of Kansas School of Medicine opened the Salina campus in Salina in July 2011. The program is aimed at students intending to practice in rural areas. With a class size of eight students, KU's Salina campus is the smallest four-year medical-education site in the country.
The KU School of Medicine-Salina is housed primarily in the Braddick Building on the 'Salina Regional Health Cente ' Campus. In addition to the medical student classrooms the clinical skills labs, human anatomy lab, testing center, student study areas, and student lounge are all located in the Braddick Building.
The curriculum in Salina is identical to that at the School of Medicine campuses in Kansas City and Wichita. In the first two years, it is delivered by on-site and distance education. Lectures use interactive televideo, podcasting is available for all students and the teaching is are supplemented with clinical skills training, laboratory and group activities. The program has a core group of basic scientists in Salina, backed by a larger team in Kansas City. During their third and fourth years, medical students complete clinical clerkships. located at the Salina Regional Health Center, local physician officies, and at other hospitals and physician offices in the region.
- 1995: Virologist Bill Narayan, D.V.M., Ph.D., developed a virus, KU SHIV, that caused AIDS in monkeys.
- Official Website
- University of Kansas Website
- KU School of Medicine - Wichita Website
- KU School of Medicine - Salina Website