|File:Logo Univision 2013.svg|
|Industry||Media and entertainment|
|Founded||Los Angeles, California (1992)|
|Founder||A. Jerrold Perenchio Venevision and Televisa|
|Headquarters||New York City, United States|
|Randy Falco, President and CEO|
Univision Deportes Network
El Rey Network
Univision Television Group
|Owner||Broadcast Media Partners|
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is an American media company serving Hispanic America. UCI has evolved into a multimedia company with 16 broadcast, cable and digital networks; 62 television stations; and online and mobile apps, products and content creation facilities in Miami, New York and Los Angeles. UCI’s headquarters is in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Prior to 2007, the headquarters was in Century City, Los Angeles, California, United States.
- 1 History
- 2 Properties
- 3 Corporate governance
- 4 See also
- 5 References
- 6 External links
From September 1996 to April 2007, Univision Communications Inc. traded in the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol UVN.
In 2001, Univision Communications Inc. acquired USA Broadcasting, the station group of USA Networks, which included 13 full-power television stations. Most of these stations became part of a new network called TeleFutura, now UniMás. Others joined Univision. In 2003, Univision completed the acquisition of Hispanic Broadcasting Corporation to form Univision Radio.
In March 2007, Univision Communications Inc. was sold to Broadcasting Media Partners, Inc. which includes Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC, Providence Equity Partners Inc., TPG Capital, L.P., Thomas H. Lee Partners, L.P., and Saban Capital Group Inc.
In 2009, Univision Interactive Media was formed to house Univision.com, Univision Móvil, and an array of digital offerings. Univision On Demand also debuted in 2009, through distribution partners. That same year Univision also created Univision Studios, a new production arm focused on producing and co-producing content for the Company’s platforms.
Since June 2011, Randy Falco has been President and CEO of UCI, and since then has increased UCI’s earnings. Mr. Falco’s contract was recently renewed until January 2018. In the fall of 2012, Univision celebrated its 50th anniversary by unveiling a new brand logo and a new tagline identifying Univision as the “Hispanic Heartbeat of America.”
- Univision Network
- UniMás Network
- UniMás Television Group
- Univision Deportes (Sports) (UDN)
- Univision Noticias (News)
- Univision tlnovelas (Telenovelas)
- Univision Television Group (62 local TV stations)
- Galavision Network
- TuTV (100% owner, formerly 50% with Televisa)
- UVideos.com and UVideos app
- Univision.com and Univision app
- Uforiamusica.com and Uforia Musica app
- UnivisionDeportes.com and Univision Deportes app
- Univisionnoticias.com and Noticias Univision app
- La Fabrica UCI (Digital content house)
Consumer products, brand licensing and other services
- Univision Mobile
- Univision Farmacia
- Univision Tarjeta Prepagada
- El Chavo™
- Hablando sola™
- Simplemente Delicioso™
- Celia Cruz
- Pedro Infante
- Gaby Borges
- Claudia Molina
- Univision Deportes™
- Despierta America
- Nuestra Belleza Latina
- Chef Oropeza™
- Univision Interactive Media
- Univision Music Group (2001–2008)
Univision-owned television stations
- (**) - Indicates a station owned by Univision prior to the formation of Univision Communications in 1992.
- (++) - Indicates a station owned by USA Broadcasting prior to its acquisition by Univision in 2001.
|City of license / Market||Station||Channel TV (RF)||Owned Since||Affiliation|
|Phoenix, Arizona||KTVW-DT **||33 (33)||1992||Univision|
|Tucson, Arizona|| KUVE-DT
(semi-satellite of KTVW-DT)
|Bakersfield, California||KABE-CD||39 (39)||2002||Univision|
| KBTF-CA **
(satellite of KTFB-CA)
|Fresno, California||KFTV-DT **||21 (20)||1992||Univision|
|Los Angeles, California||KMEX-DT **||34 (34)||1992||Univision|
|KFTR-DT ++||46 (29)||2001||UniMás|
|Sacramento, California||KUVS-DT||19 (18)||1997||Univision|
|San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California||KDTV-DT **||14 (51)||1992||Univision|
|Denver, Colorado||KTFD-DT 1||14 (15)||2003||UniMás|
|Washington, D.C.||WFDC-DT 1||14 (15)||2001||Univision|
|Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida||WLTV-DT **||23 (23)||1992||Univision|
|WAMI-DT ++||69 (47)||2001||UniMás|
|Orlando, Florida||WOTF-DT ++ 1||43 (20)||2001||UniMás|
|Tampa-St. Petersburg, Florida||WFTT-DT ++ 1||47 (50)||2001||UniMás|
|Atlanta, Georgia||WUVG-DT ++||34 (48)||2001|| Univision|
|Chicago, Illinois||WGBO-DT||66 (38)||1995||Univision|
|WXFT-DT ++||60 (50)||2001||UniMás|
|Boston, Massachusetts||WUTF-DT ++ 1||66 (27)||2001||UniMás|
|Albuquerque, New Mexico||KTFQ-DT 1||14 (22)||2003||UniMás|
|New York City||WXTV-DT **||41 (40)||1992||Univision|
|WFUT-DT ++||68 (30)||2001||UniMás|
| WFTY-DT ++
(satellite of WFUT-DT)
|Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina||WUVC-DT||40 (38)||2003||Univision|
|Cleveland, Ohio||WQHS-DT ++ 2||34 (61)||2001|| Univision|
|Philadelphia, Pennsylvania||WUVP-DT ++||65 (29)||2001||Univision|
|Austin, Texas||KAKW-DT||62 (13)||2002||Univision|
|KTFO-CD **||31 (36)||1992||UniMás|
|Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas||KUVN-DT **||23 (23)||1992||Univision|
|KSTR-DT ++||49 (48)||2001||UniMás|
|Houston, Texas||KXLN-DT||45 (45)||1994||Univision|
|KFTH-DT ++||67 (36)||2001||UniMás|
|San Antonio, Texas||KWEX-DT **||41 (41)||1992||Univision|
|KNIC-DT 6||17 (18)||2006||UniMás|
|Salt Lake City, Utah||KUTH-DT 5||32 (32)||2004||Univision|
|San Juan, Puerto Rico||WLII-DT||11 (11)||20023||Univision|
(DTS facility of WSTE-DT)
|Ponce, Puerto Rico|| WSUR-DT
(satellite of WLII-DT)
(DTS facility of WSTE-DT)
- 1 These stations are owned by Univision, but are operated by Entravision Communications under local marketing agreements.
- 2 WQHS is the only network-owned station bordering Canada. It is also one of only two stations near the Canadian border. The other station, KUNS-TV in Seattle, Washington, is third-party owned. However, neither the network nor either of the two stations are available on cable or satellite in Canada due to foreign broadcast restrictions established by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).
- 3 WLII and WSUR were taken over by Univision in 2002, but this was under a local marketing agreement with Raycom Media until Univision bought the stations outright in 2005.
- 4 WSTE was taken over by Univision in 2002, but this was via WLII's local marketing agreement with Siete Grande Television (and in turn Univision's LMA with Raycom until 2005). Univision bought WSTE outright in 2007.
- 5 KUTH is owned by Univision, but was operated by Equity Media Holdings under a local marketing agreement until Univision took full control of the station in 2009.
- 6 KNIC is the only station to be built and signed-on by Univision Communications.
Univision Contigo (Univision With You)
Univision Contigo, UCI’s public service initiative, is an expansion of UCI’s investment and partnership efforts to service Hispanics in the U.S. and builds upon UCI’s engagement with the Hispanic community. Univision Contigo is designed to focus on education, health, financial literacy and voter participation in the Hispanic community.
- Randy Falco, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Andrew W. Hobson, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Financial and Strategic Officer
- Jonathan Schwartz, Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary
- Roberto Llamas, Executive Vice President, Chief Human Resources Officer
- Peter H. Lori, Executive Vice President, Controller and Chief Accounting Officer
Board of directors
- Haim Saban, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer - Saban Capital Group, Inc.
- Randy Falco, President and CEO - Univision
- Kelvin L. Davis, Partner - TPG Capital, L.P.
- Zaid F. Alsikafi, Director - Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC
- Henry Cisneros, Executive Chairman - CityView
- José Antonio Bastón Patino, President of Television and Contents - Grupo Televisa
- Alfonso de Angoitia Noriega, Executive Vice President - Grupo Televisa
- Emilio Azcarraga Jean, Chairman of the Board and CEO - Grupo Televisa
- James N. Perry, Managing Director - Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC
- Jonathan M. Nelson, Chief Executive Officer - Providence Equity Partners
- Gloria Estefan, Vice-President - Estefan Enterprises
- Michael P. Cole, Director - Madison Dearborn Partners, LLC
- Adam Chesnoff, President and Chief Operating Officer - Saban Capital Group, Inc.
- David Trujillo, Principal - TPG Capital, L.P
- Michael N. Gray, Principal - Providence Equity Partners
- Enrique F. Senior Hernandez, Managing Director - Allen & Company
- David Zaslav, President and CEO - Discovery Communications
- Krista Giovacco (January 15, 2014). "Univision Said to Increase Loan for Rate Cut to $3.37 Billion". Bloomberg.
- Doug Halonen (March 26, 2014). "Univision Asks FCC For Retrans Exemption". TVNewsCheck.
- Jonathan Tannenwald (April 18, 2014). "Univision's World Cup plan: U.S., Mexico equally important". The Philadelphia Inquirer.
- "Univision Radio President Pens Open Letter Regarding Recent Changes". RadioInsight.com. April 2, 2014.
- "Contact." Univision. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "605 Third Avenue, 12th Floor New York, NY 10158"
- James, Meg. "TELEVISION; Univision's new image is star of the party." Los Angeles Times. May 17, 2007. C1. Retrieved on August 28, 2011. "With the acquisition, Univision has moved its corporate headquarters from Los Angeles to New York, where Uva is based."
- "2001 Annual Report." Univision Communications. 36 (20/20). Retrieved on March 30, 2010. "Corporate Headquarters Univision Communications Inc. 1999 Avenue of the Stars Suite 3050 Los Angeles, CA 90067"
- James, Meg. "IN BRIEF / MEDIA; Televisa Ends Attempt to Take Over Univision." Los Angeles Times. September 19, 2006. Business Part C Business Desk C6. Retrieved on March 30, 2010. "Univision is based in Century City."
- Meg James (January 7, 2013). "Univision to revamp its secondary Spanish language network". Los Angeles Times.
- Meg James (June 12, 2012). "Univision to Acquire Hispanic Broadcasting". Los Angeles Times.
- "Broadcasting Media Partners Completes Acquisition of Univision". Saban. March 29, 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- Diane Mermigas (January 18, 2011). "Falco Returns To TV Roots, Joins Univision As COO". MediaPost.
- Mike Reynolds (October 23, 2009). "Univision, Time Warner Cable Launch Spanish-Language On-Demand Channel". Multichannel News.
- Meg James (December 8, 2009). "Univision to open its own TV production studio". Los Angeles Times.
- Georg Szalai and Hilary Lewis (January 29, 2015). "Univision Extends CEO Randy Falco's Contract Through Early 2018". The Hollywood Reporter.
- David Lieberman (January 29, 2015). "Univision Extends CEO Randy Falco’s Contract To 2018". Deadline.com.
- Marisa Guthrie (October 17, 2012). "Univision Unveils New Logo, First Tagline (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Mike Reynolds (April 14, 2014). "Univision Deportes Network To Televise World Cup 24/7". Multichannel News.
- "Univision launches novela network". Media Moves. March 1, 2012.
- Natan Edelsburg (April 21, 2014). "Univision launches ‘Flama’, an over-the-top network in English for youth". Mediabistro.
- Laura Martinez (2012-09-19). "ABC News, Univision Launch Website". Broadcasting & Cable.
- Laura Martinez (June 1, 2013). "Univision Gears Up for New Deals". License! Global.
- "Gibson’s Simplemente Delicioso Collection to Debut on HSN". Home Furnishing News. August 5, 2013.
- "Univision to develop Pedro Infante merchandise". Southern California Public Radio. February 12, 2014.
- "Kidz Star USA to host audition at Six Flags Magic Mountain, winner gets recording contract". Los Angeles Daily News. August 14, 2013.
- "Univision to Rep Claudia Molina". License! Global. June 21, 2013.
- Armando Tinoco (April 3, 2014). "Univision Upfront 2014: Top 6 Must Watch Televisa Telenovelas This Fall". Latin Times.
- Meg James (March 31, 2014). "Raul Gonzalez, longtime Univision star, jumps to Telemundo". Los Angeles Times.
- Maria G. Valdez (May 15, 2014). "‘Nuestra Belleza Latina’ Spoilers: What To Expect From Grand Finale That Will Crown Next Latin Beauty Queen". Latin Times.
- Betty Marriaga (September 4, 2012). "Antahkarana, la línea de la suerte del Niño Prodigio". Yahoo! TV.
- "Ownership Report for Commercial Broadcast Stations". Federal Communications Commission. December 19, 2013. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- "Summary of ENTRAVISION COMMUNICATIONS CORP.". Yahoo! Finance. March 10, 2014. Retrieved September 24, 2014.
- THR Staff (November 25, 2013). "Univision Communications Launches Comprehensive Public Service Initiative". The Hollywood Reporter.