|City of license||Rockingham, North Carolina|
1000 Watts (day)|
297 Watts (night)
|Transmitter coordinates||34° 55' 30" N, 79° 44' 35" W|
|Affiliations||NCNN (North Carolina News Network) and Fox Sports Radio|
WAYN (900 AM) is a radio station based in Rockingham, North Carolina. The station plays a variety of adult contemporary and easy listening music. It also carries Fox Sports Radio as well as North Carolina State University football and basketball Games.
With a daytime transmission power of 1000 watts, and a night time transmission power of 297 watts. WAYN broadcasts from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
WAYN signed on in 1946. The first voice heard on the station was that of Robert D. Raiford, now a John Boy and Billy commentator. In 2006, morning host Jimmy Smith celebrated 55 years on the station. He was 16 when he started, and still on the air at 76 to celebrate 60 years. Mayor Eugene McLaurin declared Jimmy Smith day in 2001 for his 50th anniversary. Smith retired in 2013 after 62 years.
- Query the FCC's AM station database for WAYN
- Radio-Locator Information on WAYN
- Query Nielsen Audio's AM station database for WAYN
- Richmond County Chamber of Commerce - retrieved on November 16, 2006
- Mark Washburn, "55 Years Helping His Town Wake Up - Jimmy Smith Is Voice of the Morning on Rockingham Station," The Charlotte Observer, May 6, 2006.
- Mark Washburn, "C-SPAN looks at Charlotte this weekend," The Charlotte Observer, September 24, 2011.
- Barry Saunders, "Mornings aren't the same in Rockingham without radio voice of Jimmy Smith," News & Observer, October 9, 2013.
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.