WestCAT branded Gillig Low-Floor traveling along the JPX route
|Parent||Western Contra Costa Transit Authority|
|Headquarters||601 Walter Ave, Pinole|
|Service area||Contra Costa County, California|
|Service type||transit bus, express bus, paratransit|
|Fuel type||Diesel, Gasoline, & Hybrid Electric|
The Western Contra Costa County Transit (WestCAT) was established in August 1977 as a Joint Exercise of Powers Agreement between Contra Costa County and the cities of Hercules and Pinole. It was created with the purpose of owning, operating and administering a public transportation system serving the area between the Richmond/El Sobrante border to the west and the Al Zampa Memorial Bridge to the east. WestCAT is governed by a 7-member Board of Directors and supported by professional staff of seven. The two cities of Pinole and Hercules are each represented by two board members, while the unincorporated communities of Crockett, Rodeo, and MonTaraBay each have one representative, appointed by the Contra Costa Board of Supervisors.
WestCAT's fleet started out with shuttle vans, and then using buses made by El Dorado National and Thomas Built Buses. Now, WestCAT runs an almost all Gillig fleet, ranging from 19 Gillig Phantoms, to 18 Gillig Low Floors. WestCAT also has 5 Motor Coach Industries (MCI) over-the-road coaches for use on the LYNX. In addition, WestCAT has 10 Ford E-450 Paratransit vans, and 2 Toyota Camry hybrid electric sedans used for Dial-A-Ride.
As of September 2013, WestCAT provides a network of local and express bus routes throughout western Contra Costa County. In addition, WestCAT operates regional service between Martinez (Route 30Z) and the Hercules Transit Center and between the Hercules Transit Center and Contra Costa College (Route C3). The (Local) routes are 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19. Also (Express) JX, JL/JR (referred to as the "J" by most riders, the "L" designates via Lakeside Drive, and the "R" designates via Richmond Parkway), JPX (serves Pinole Valley residents wanting to go to the Hercules Transit Center or BART). Also, WestCAT operates transbay service between the Hercules Transit Center and the San Francisco Transbay Terminal called the LYNX with stops in the Rodeo Park and Ride located on Willow Avenue, North Shore Business Park near Bio-Rad, the Victoria by the Bay neighborhood in Hercules and the Hercules Transit Center. From the Hercules Transit Center the line then goes nonstop to San Francisco via the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes on I-80. WestCAT currently offers free Wi-Fi service on the LYNX line.
Major transfer points for the majority of WestCAT and other agency's routes include:
- Hercules Transit Center in Hercules
- Hilltop Mall Shopping Center in Richmond
- Richmond Parkway Transit Center in Richmond
- El Cerrito del Norte BART in El Cerrito
- Martinez Amtrak Station in Martinez
- San Francisco Transbay Terminal in San Francisco
|Route Number||Direction||Terminals||Days of Operation †||Schedule Information||Notes|
|North/East Terminal||South/West Terminal|
|10||Loop||Hercules Transit Center - Turquoise||Weekdays||Route 10 Schedule|
|11||Loop||Hercules Transit Center - Crockett||Weekdays and Saturdays||Route 11 Schedule|
|12||Loop||Hercules Transit Center - Mandalay/Bonaire||Weekdays||Route 12 Schedule|
|15||Loop||Hercules Transit Center - Viewpointe Blvd||Weekdays||Route 15 Schedule|
|16||Loop||Richmond Parkway Transit Center - Wright Ave/Doidge Ave||Weekdays||Route 16 Schedule|
|17||Loop||Richmond Parkway Transit Center - Cypress/Broadmore||Weekdays (except midday)||Route 17 Schedule|
|18||Loop||Richmond Parkway Transit Center - Tara Hills||Weekdays (except midday)||Route 18 Schedule|
|19||Loop||Hercules Transit Center - Hilltop Mall Shopping Center||Saturdays Only||Route 19 Schedule||<span id="19"/>|
|East-West|| Hercules Transit Center
||Contra Costa College||Weekdays||Route C3 Schedule|
|East-West||Martinez Amtrak||Hercules Transit Center||Weekdays||Route 30Z Schedule||<span id="30Z"/>[30Z]|
|North-South|| Hercules Transit Center
Weekdays after 8pm & Weekends
|El Cerrito del Norte BART||Daily||Route J Schedule||<span id="J"/>[J]|
|North-South||Hercules Transit Center||El Cerrito del Norte BART||Weekdays (except midday)||Route JX Schedule|
|North-South||Hercules Transit Center||El Cerrito del Norte BART||Weekdays||Route JPX Schedule||<span id="JPX"/>[JPX]|
|North-South|| Willow Avenue
Hercules Transit Center
|S.F. Transbay Terminal||Weekdays (limited holiday service)||Route LYNX Schedule||<span id="LYNX"/>[LYNX]|
- † Holidays schedule is shown on the WestCAT Holidays page.
- [JPX] Richmond Parkway Transit Center service only during midday from 9:40am to 2:30pm, route also serves Hercules Transit Center.
- [J] JR Via Richmond Parkway and Blume Drive and JL Via Lakeside Drive.
- [LYNX] Route serves Hercules Transit Center, and most peak period services also serve Bio-Rad, all terminating at Victoria By The Bay. Also operates midday (non-commute) trips between San Francisco and Hercules Transit Center, and it does not serve Bio-Rad or Victoria By The Bay.
Fares are effective 1 October 2008.
Cash and Passes
|Route||Type||Adult/Student (6-64) †||Senior (65+)/Disabled ‡|
|Fixed Route/Express||Single ride||US$1.75||US$0.75|
|Stored Value Pass||US$20.00||US$7.50|
|East Bay Value Pass #||US$60.00||US$60.00|
|LYNX Transbay Route||Single ride||US$5.00||US$2.00|
|Discount Tickets||not available||US$10.00|
|ADA Paratransit||Single ride||not available||US$3.00|
|Discount Tickets||not available||US$25.00|
|Route||Transfer from ₮||Adult/Student (6-64) †||Senior (65+)/Disabled ‡|
|Fixed Route/Express||other WestCAT buses, Capitol Corridor, County Connection, and Tri Delta Transit||FREE||FREE|
|BART, SolTrans, AC Transit, and Golden Gate Transit||US$1.00||US$0.50|
|LYNX Local trips||WestCAT Local Fixed Routes/Express||FREE||FREE|
|LYNX Transbay Route||WestCAT Local Fixed Routes/Express||US$3.25||US$1.25|
- † Children under six years of age may ride free, but must be accompanied by an adult. Limit 2 children under six years per fare paying adult.
- ‡ Appropriate identification must be presented to obtain the discounted Senior/Disabled fare.
- # East Bay Value Pass value on all WestCAT, County Connection, Wheels and Tri Delta Transit fixed-route buses, with the exception of LYNX.
- ₮ In order to facilitate passenger connections between WestCAT and other agency, transfer slips are issued upon request at the time the proper fare is paid and transfer at shared stops only (exception Capital Corridor trains, which are FREE anywhere within WestCAT’s service area with validated transfer).
WestCAT provides service to the communities of:
The local transportation demand management organization 511 Contra Costa also provides information for intermodal transfers throughout Contra Costa County, and works closely with WestCAT to help transit users make regional connections beyond their immediate service area.