Winchester Model 1910
The Winchester Model 1910 (also known as the Model 10) is a blowback operated semi-automatic rifle produced by the Winchester Repeating Arms Company beginning in 1910 with production ending in 1936. This rifle is fed from a 4-round capacity, detachable box magazine located immediately forward of the trigger guard. Winchester only chambered the model 1910 in the .401 Winchester Self-Loading or .401 WSL cartridge.
The basic design for the Model 1910 is covered by *U.S. Patent 681,481 issued August 27, 1901 and assigned to Winchester by Thomas Crossley Johnson, a key firearms designer for Winchester. This patent was initially used to protect the design of the rimfire Winchester Model 1903, but came to be applied toward the centerfire Winchester Self Loading rifle series, which includes the Model 1905, Model 1907, and Model 1910.
In addition to the standard or "plain finish" model, a deluxe or "fancy finish" model was offered with checkering on the forearm and wrist of the stock. The plain finish rifles were offered in 1910 at a list price of $30.
World War I Orders
Winchester factory records show an order placed in 1915 for 150 Model 1910 rifles, spare magazines, and 25,000 cartridges of .401SL ammunition by the firm of Andre, Schaub & Pioso as an agent of the French government. A subsequent December 7, 1917 order of 400,000 .401SL cartridges is believed to indicate additional Model 1910 rifles were acquired by the French Republic through other means.
- West, Bill R. (1964) Winchester For Over a Century Stockton Trade Press, p. III-7
- US Patent Number 681481: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=681481
- Winchester Repeating Arms Company 1910 Guns Catalog Reproduction by Cornell Military Publications. Brighton, MI 48114
- Houze, Herbert G. (2003) Winchester's First Self-Loading Rifles National Rifle Association, American Rifleman 151(5): Washington. p. 51
- Schreier, Konrad F. Jr. (1990) Winchester Center Fire Automatic Rifles Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Armax III(1): Cody, Wyoming. p. 84
The Vintage Semi-Automatic Sporting Rifles Forum - Winchester Model 1910 - http://vintagesemiautorifle.proboards105.com/index.cgi?board=win10