Wright Aeronautical (1919–1929) was an aircraft manufacturer headquartered in New Jersey. It was the successor corporation to Wright-Martin. It built aircraft and was a supplier of aircraft engines to other builders. In 1929 it merged with Curtiss to form Curtiss-Wright.
In 1916, the Wright brothers' original aviation firm, the Wright Company, merged with Glenn L. Martin's original firm, the Glenn L. Martin Company of California, to form the Wright-Martin Aircraft Corporation. In September 1917, Glenn Martin resigned from Wright-Martin and re-formed an independent Glenn L. Martin Company of Ohio (later of Maryland). In 1919, Wright-Martin was renamed Wright Aeronautical.
In May 1923, Wright Aeronautical purchased the Lawrance Aero Engine Company, as the United States Navy was concerned that Lawrance couldn't produce enough engines for its needs. Charles Lawrance was retained as a vice president.
In 1925, after Wright's president, Frederick B. Rentschler, left the company to found the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Company, Lawrance replaced him as company president. Rentschler poached several talented personnel from Wright to join his new firm.
Wright Aeronautical merged with the Curtiss Aeroplane and Motor Company on July 5, 1929, to become the Curtiss-Wright Corporation.
Other types of aircraft
- The Complete Encyclopedia of World Aircraft Editors: Paul Eden & Soph Moeng, (Amber Books Ltd. Bradley's Close, 74-77 White Lion Street, London, NI 9PF, 2002, ISBN 0-7607-3432-1), 1152 pp.
- Gunston, Bill (2006). World Encyclopedia of Aero Engines, 5th Edition. Phoenix Mill, Gloucestershire, England, UK: Sutton Publishing Limited. ISBN 0-7509-4479-X.