|Observation data (Epoch J2000)|
|Right ascension||22h 15m 58.5s|
|Declination||−17° 38′ 02″|
|See also: Galaxy groups, Galaxy clusters, List of galaxy clusters|
Discovered in 2006, XMMXCS 2215-1738 is one of the most distant galaxy clusters known. It is embedded in intergalactic gas that has a temperature of 10 million degrees. The estimated mass of the cluster is 500 trillion solar masses. The cluster was discovered and studied using the XMM Newton and Keck Telescopes. The cluster is surprisingly large and evolved for a cluster that existed when the universe was only 3 billion years old.
Led by University of Sussex researchers, part of the XMM Cluster Survey (XCS) used X-ray Multi Mirror (XMM) Newton satellite to find it, Keck Telescope to determine distance, and used the Hubble Space Telescope to further image it.
The galaxy is called XMMXCS 2215-1734 in many references, with some news sources listing both names. The source of the naming contradiction between XMMXCS 2215-1734 and XMMXCS 2215-1738 is not known. However, XMMXCS 2215-1738 seems to be the more accurate.
- 2XMM J083026+524133
- galaxy cluster
- XMM Newton
- XMM Cluster Survey (XCS)
- List of the most distant astronomical objects
- Most Distant Galaxy Cluster Found 10 Billion light-years Away XMM Cluster Survey (XCS)
- The XMM Cluster Survey: A Massive Galaxy Cluster at z=1.45 S. A. Stanford (arXiv preprint) Sun, 4 Jun 2006 16:23:55 GMT
- http://www.physorg.com/news68820846.html Massive galaxy cluster found 10 billion light years away June 6th, 2006, Space & Earth magazine
- http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=7769 "Galaxy Cluster Most Distant from Earth Found, June 5, 2006, UC DAVIS
- http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-146854459.html The Journal (Newcastle, England) June 10, 2006
- Astronomers Find Most Distant Galaxy Cluster Yet (SpaceDaily) Jun 7, 2006
- Maturity of Farthest Galaxy Cluster Surprises Astronomers Christine L. Kulyk (SPACE.com) 8 June 2006 06:20 am ET
| Succeeded by|
||Most distant galaxy cluster
| Succeeded by|
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.