Y-Wing Lego model
|First appearance||A New Hope|
Y-wings are fictional Rebel Alliance and New Republic starfighters in the Star Wars universe. They appear in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, as well as the Clone Wars TV series and the Expanded Universe's books, comics, and games.
Origin and design
Industrial Light & Magic's Colin Cantwell, who also designed the saga's TIE fighters, initially designed the Y-wing with a large bubble turret for a gunner. However, the dome did not appear properly when filmed against bluescreen, and subsequent designs excised the turret.
Y-wings are described in the Expanded Universe as durable but slow tactical strike spacecraft, although notes and diagrams by the special effects crew for Return of the Jedi (shown in The Art of Return of the Jedi) show the Y-wing as possessing the same speed and maneuverability as the X-wing and standard TIE fighter. The destruction of Y-wings tasked with destroying the Death Star at the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope leads to Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) firing the proton torpedoes that destroy the Empire's battle station. Only one Y-wing survives the battle.
Y-wings also participate at the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi. The Expanded Universe describes several Y-wing varieties, such as a one-seater version, a two-seater (one pilot, one gunner) variety, and the "Longprobe" reconnaissance ship.
Y-Wings were later seen in The Clone Wars TV series as a new, prototype fighter-bomber used by the Republic as a weapon against the Separatists. General Anakin Skywalker leads a squadron of Y-Wings on one of their first missions to take out a Separatist cruiser, and are noted for their powerful shields and secondary gunner.
- "Y-wing Fighter". Star Wars Encyclopedia. Lucasfilm. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "Y-wing starfighter (Behind the Scenes)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- "Y-wing starfighter (Expanded Universe)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- Murphy, Paul; Peter Schweighofer (April 1994). Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. West End Games. ISBN 0-87431-209-4.
- Y-wing starfighter in the Official StarWars.com Encyclopedia
- BTL Y-wing starfighter on Wookieepedia: a Star Wars wiki
Lua error in package.lua at line 80: module 'Module:Buffer' not found.