Yuri I. Manin
|Yuri I. Manin|
|File:Juri Manin, Ksenia Semenova.jpeg|
Yuri Ivanovitch Manin|
February 16, 1937
Simferopol, Soviet Union
Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik|
Moscow State University|
Steklov Mathematics Institute (PhD)
|Doctoral advisor||Template:If empty|
|Doctoral students||Alexander Beilinson, Vladimir Drinfeld, Vasily Iskovskih, Mikhail Kapranov, Victor Kolyvagin, Vyacheslav Shokurov, Alexei Skorobogatov, et al.|
|Known for||algebraic geometry, diophantine geometry|
Nemmers Prize in Mathematics (1994)|
Schock Prize (1999)
Cantor Medal (2002)
Bolyai Prize (2010)
Yuri Ivanovitch Manin (Ю́рий Ива́нович Ма́нин; born 1937) is a Soviet/Russian/German mathematician, known for work in algebraic geometry and diophantine geometry, and many expository works ranging from mathematical logic to theoretical physics.
Life and career
Manin gained a doctorate in 1960 at the Steklov Mathematics Institute as a student of Igor Shafarevich. He is now a Professor at the Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik in Bonn, and a professor at Northwestern University.
Manin's early work included papers on the arithmetic and formal groups of abelian varieties, the Mordell conjecture in the function field case, and algebraic differential equations. The Gauss–Manin connection is a basic ingredient of the study of cohomology in families of algebraic varieties. He wrote an influential book on cubic surfaces and cubic forms, showing how to apply both classical and contemporary methods of algebraic geometry, as well as nonassociative algebra. He also indicated the role of the Brauer group, via Grothendieck's theory of global Azumaya algebras, in accounting for obstructions to the Hasse principle, setting off a generation of further work. He also formulated the Manin conjecture, which predicts the asymptotic behaviour of the number of rational points of bounded height on algebraic varieties. He has further written on Yang–Mills theory, quantum information, and mirror symmetry.
Manin had over 40 doctoral students, including Vladimir Berkovich, Mariusz Wodzicki, Alexander Beilinson, Ivan Cherednik, Alexei Skorobogatov, Vladimir Drinfeld, Mikhail Kapranov, Vyacheslav Shokurov, Arend Bayer and Victor Kolyvagin, as well as foreign students including Hà Huy Khoái, now the most senior mathematician in Vietnam. He was awarded the Brouwer Medal in 1987, the Schock Prize in 1999 and the Cantor Medal in 2002. In 1994, he was awarded the Nemmers Prize in Mathematics. In 2010, he received the Bolyai Prize of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Manin: Selected works with commentary, World Scientific 1996
- Manin: Mathematics as metaphor - selected essays, American Mathematical Society 2009
- Manin: Rational points of algebraic curves over function fields. AMS translations 1966 (Mordell conjecture for function fields)
- Manin: Algebraic topology of algebraic varieties. Russian Mathematical Surveys 1965
- Manin: Modular forms and Number Theory. International Congress of Mathematicians, Helsinki 1978
- Manin: Frobenius manifolds, quantum cohomology, and moduli spaces, American Mathematical Society 1999
- Manin: Quantum groups and non commutative geometry, Montreal, Centre de Recherches Mathématiques, 1988
- Manin: Topics in non-commutative geometry, Princeton University Press 1991
- Manin: Gauge field theory and complex geometry. Springer 1988 (Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften)
- Manin: Cubic forms - algebra, geometry, arithmetics, North Holland 1986
- Manin: A course in mathematical logic, Springer 1977
- Manin: The provable and the unprovable (Russ.), Moscow 1979
- Manin: The decidable and the undecidable (Russ.), Moscow 1980
- Manin: Mathematics and physics, Birkhäuser 1981
- Manin: New dimensions in geometry. in Arbeitstagung Bonn 1984, Lectures Notes in Mathematics Vol. 1111, Springer Verlag
- Manin, Alexei Ivanovich Kostrikin: Linear algebra and geometry, Gordon and Breach 1989
- Manin, Sergei Gelfand: Homological algebra, Springer 1994 (Encyclopedia of mathematical sciences).
- Manin, Sergei Gelfand: Methods of Homological algebra, Springer 1996
- Manin, Igor Kobzarev: Elementary Particles: mathematics, physics and philosophy, Dordrecht, Kluwer, 1989 (This book is introductory.)
- Manin, Alexei A. Panchishkin: Introduction to Number theory, Springer Verlag 1995, 2nd edn. 2005
- Manin Moduli, Motives, Mirrors, 3. European Congress Math. Barcelona 2000, Plenary talk
- Manin Classical computing, quantum computing and Shor´s factoring algorithm, Bourbaki Seminar 1999
- Manin Von Zahlen und Figuren 2002
- Manin, Mathilde Marcolli Holography principle and arithmetic of algebraic curves, 2002
- Manin 3-dimensional hyperbolic geometry as infinite-adic Arakelov geometry, Inventiones Mathematicae 1991
- Manin: Mathematik, Kunst und Zivilisation, e-enterprise, 2014
- Arithmetic topology
- Manin–Drinfeld theorem
- Manin matrices
- Manin-Mumford conjecture
- Manin obstruction
- Manin triple
-  CURRICULUM VITAE at Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik website
- Getzler, Ezra (2001). "Review: Frobenius manifolds, quantum cohomology, and moduli spaces by Yuri I. Manin". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 38 (1): 101–108. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-00-00888-0.
- Penkov, Ivan (1993). "Review: Topics in non-commutative geometry by Yuri I. Manin". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 29 (1): 106–111. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1993-00391-4.
- LeBrun, Claude (1989). "Review: Gauge field theory and complex geometry by Yuri I. Manin; trans. by N. Koblitz and J. R. King". Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 21 (1): 192–196. doi:10.1090/S0273-0979-1989-15816-3.
- Shoenfield, J. R. (1979). "Review: A course in mathematical logic by Yu. I Manin" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. (N.S.) 1 (3): 539–541. doi:10.1090/s0273-0979-1979-14613-5.
- Némethi, A. . "Yuri Ivanovich Manin", Acta Mathematica Hungarica, April 2011, Volume 133 (1–2), pp. 1–13.
- Jean-Paul Pier (1 January 2000). Development of Mathematics 1950–2000. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 1116. ISBN 978-3-7643-6280-5.
|40x40px||Wikiquote has quotations related to: Yuri I. Manin|
- Yuri I. Manin at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Manin's page at Max-Planck-Institut für Mathematik website
- Good Proofs are Proofs that Make us Wiser, interview by Martin Aigner and Vasco A. Schmidt
Lua error in Module:Authority_control at line 346: attempt to index field 'wikibase' (a nil value).