Bowman in the 2011 NFL season.
|No. 30 Miami Dolphins|
|Date of birth:||November 18, 1984|
|Place of birth:||Columbia, South Carolina|
|Height:||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|Weight:||Script error: No such module "convert".|
|High school:||Anchorage (AK) Bartlett|
|NFL draft:||2008 / Round: 5 / Pick: 142|
Career Template:If empty statistics
|Stats at NFL.com|
Zackary Bowman (born November 18, 1984) is an American football cornerback for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He played college football at Nebraska. He has also played for the New York Giants.
After Bowman attended New Mexico Military Institute, he attended University of Nebraska-Lincoln. In his two seasons at Nebraska Bowman had a total of 56 tackles, 20 pass break ups, 3 interceptions, and he played in 22 games, 9 of which he started.
First stint with Chicago Bears
The Chicago Bears selected in the fifth round of the 2008 NFL Draft. He made the team's opening day roster but was relegated to the practice squad to make room for guard Dan Buenning, who was acquired in a trade. The Bears signed Bowman off the practice squad in week seven, after their top three cornerbacks were ruled out of a game against the Minnesota Vikings due to injuries. Bowman played a crucial role in the Bears victory over the Vikings by recovering a fumbled punt in the endzone for a touchdown. Bowman sustained an injury in the fourth quarter, which should have left him sidelined for the remainder of the game, but he insisted on returning due to the Bears shallow depth at the cornerback position. He recorded his first career interception upon returning, which also prevented the Vikings from engineering a last second touchdown drive. Bowman required surgery to repair the injury he sustained during the game, and was placed on the team's injury reserve for the remainder of the season. His efforts during the week merited him the "NFC Special Teams Player of the Week" Award.
In training camp 2009, coaches were very impressed with Bowman's abilities and play on the practice field. Despite missing most of the preseason with a hamstring injury, Bowman was expected to be a key part of the Bears secondary in 2009 with teammates Nathan Vasher and Charles Tillman.
In Week 2 of the regular season, Bowman took over Vasher's starting spot at cornerback. He recorded 66 tackles, six interceptions, and one forced fumble over the course of the season.
During the Bears 2010 mini camp, head coach Lovie Smith announced that Bowman would replace Charles Tillman as the team's left side cornerback. In a typical Cover 2 defense, team's will usually place their best cornerback on the left side of their defensive formations.
Second stint with Chicago Bears
Bowman was later re-signed by the Bears. In Week 16 against the Arizona Cardinals, Bowman recovered Beanie Wells' fumble in the endzone for a Bears touchdown, as the Bears won 28-13. In 2013, Bowman was an unrestricted free agent, but signed a one-year deal with the Bears. During the season, Bowman played in all 16 games while starting in seven, and recorded 49 tackles along with three interceptions.
New York Giants
Bowman was a sociology major and earned his degree in December 2007. He and his wife, Alicia, have been together since 2005.
- Adam T on Sep 2, 6:14p (2008-02-09). "Bears Trade For Dan Buenning". Windy City Gridiron. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Mayer, Larry (2008-10-20). "Bowman to undergo surgery to repair biceps injury". chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2008-10-21.
- Mayer, Larry (2008-10-22). "Bears place Bowman on IR, sign veteran safety Holt". chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Greenberg, Jon (2009-09-03). "Preseason football, regular-season prices". ESPN. espnchicago.com. Retrieved 2009-09-07.
- Dickerson, Jeff (2010-03-17). "Vasher never recovered from groin injury". ESPN. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Biggs, Brad (2010-05-24). "Charles Tillman trading places for Bears". SB Nation. Retrieved 2010-05-25.
- Vikings reportedly agree to deal with former Bears CB Zackary Bowman
- Wiederer, Dan. "Vikings wave bye-bye to Bowman, Brown as Jefferson, Asper arrive". Star Tribune. Retrieved 2 September 2012.
- Mayer, Larry (2012-01-01). "Bears release 2008 first-round pick Chris Williams". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- McManaman, Bob (2012-12-23). "Bears 28, Cardinals 13". Yahoo! Sports. Retrieved 2012-12-23.
- Mayer, Larry (2013-03-15). "Bears agree to deal with Bowman; Roach joins Raiders". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Mayer, Larry (2014-01-30). "Jennings a bright spot on defense". Chicago Bears. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- "New York Giants, CB Zack Bowman Agree to One-Year Deal".
- "Miami Dolphins sign cornerback Zack Bowman".